Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

What I do in Speech and Debate

Ok guys so if you read my post  "Been a While" here, then you probably remember me talking about starting Speech and Debate again (I did it last year). So I thought I would take some time to tell everyone about what Speech and Debate is, and what I will be competing in.

First of all I compete in STOA, which is one of three main main homeschool speech and debate leagues, the other two being NCFCA and NSDA. Why did my family choose STOA? I HAVE NO CLUE but I am glad we did because of all of the really cool people that I have met and already knew that I get to see more often!

So, what events am I competing in you may be wondering? Well that I can answer. This year (season) I am competing in Lincoln Douglas Debate (I will go into more detail on each individual event a little later), Cold Reading, and quite possibly a Duo
So, now about each individual event.

My main event will be LD (Lincoln Douglas). As I said in a previous post, LD is basically Philosophical debate unlike TP, which is Evidence based. The resolution this year (what we are debating) is;

 Resolved: The needs of the public ought to be valued more than private property rights.

That's a really good resolution. About the most common case that people are running is Taxes (which is what I am running because it is really good), because Taxes are an example of when you relinquish your private property (your money) in order to be protected by a military, and police force and to have a judicial system and a public school system (all public NEEDS not WANTS).

So yeah, LD is my main event. After that comes Cold Reading. According to Wikipedia, (I know all debaters reading this are cringing but it is a good definition...just wait and see it...ok you ready to see it?)

"cold reading is reading aloud from a script or other text with little or no rehearsal, practice or study in advance. Sometimes also referred to as sight reading, it is a technique used by actors and other performers in theatre, television, and film performance fields."

Sounds fun right? Well it should be, you get to read from whatever small piece of literature they give you using different voices and accents for different people, I think it should be fun!

So yeah, that's Cold Reading. Last, and basically my wild card event that I will hopefully get to compete in, is a Duo. Most people probably know what a Duo is, basically you take a book and create a script that you and another person can act out in about 8-10 minutes. So yeah, it's pretty fun.

Anyway, that's all I am doing in Speech and Debate this year. It will be a fun rest of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment